Mental health impacts our everyday lives. When symptoms of depression linger, affecting our families and careers, talk therapy for depression counseling can help.
Talk Therapy for Depression Symptoms
Talk therapy, or psychotherapy, provides a means to learn about depression and new skills to manage symptoms.
This type of therapy for depression provides relief from symptoms including:
- Fatigue and irritability
- Trouble sleeping, such as sleeping too much or insomnia
- Feelings of guilt, helplessness, or worthlessness
- Hopelessness and negativity
- Disinterest in once pleasurable activities
- Trouble concentrating or remembering
- Thoughts of suicide or self-harm
Talking with a licensed therapist provides guided sessions that work towards building coping and life skills. Normally, minor to moderate depression can be treated by talk therapy. However, severe depression may also benefit from psychiatric services with medication in tandem with therapy.
Types of Talk Therapy for Depression
There are many different types of talk therapy for depression that can be used together or separately.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) analyzes negative thought patterns and behaviors that worsen depression symptoms. These negative thoughts and behaviors can be assessed and turned around into more positive ones. Increasing positive thoughts and reacting in a healthier manner builds up a better, happier mood.
CBT programs may progress into dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) for more coping skills and emotion regulation. Individuals learn to incorporate mindfulness into their lives and relationships.
Interpersonal therapy focuses on our relationships with others and how they impact depression symptoms. This practical approach helps individuals notice unhealthy behaviors and how to process them.
Psychodynamic therapy addresses the causes of depression that are unresolved and usually unconscious. There are many events in childhood that shape who we become.
What to Expect During Therapy
The first appointment of talk therapy for depression consists of a general evaluation of your feelings in the last two weeks. This session is about getting to know each other and building trust. It is vital that you trust your therapist and can talk freely.
If you’re uncomfortable, ask about finding someone else for counseling services. It is more important to find a therapist with the right methods and credentials for your situation. Therapists may specialize in particular areas like family counseling, post-traumatic stress disorders, or depression in adolescents.
During sessions, you will talk about your experiences, feelings, and current symptoms of depression. If there are past events or underlying reasons for depression, these will be addressed at their own pace.
The topics and techniques during talk therapy for depression will differ based on the individual. Some people find it beneficial to talk about their week while others focus more on relationships. But what you can expect in therapy is someone who will listen and offer techniques for dealing with depression symptoms.
Talk Therapy for Depression at Remedy Therapy
Remedy Therapy provides a variety of counseling services to help those struggling with mental health disorders. Each person is different and may benefit more from a variety of counseling services. That’s why we offer the following services for our clients:
- Family counseling. Sometimes families need an objective third party to help them work through their issues. Having a licensed counselor in the room can help guide the conversation by addressing big concerns while keeping respectful tones.
- Individual counseling. Speaking with a therapist one-on-one lets you open up and talk honestly about struggles. This safe and welcoming environment is a great place to practice new coping skills and tools.
- Group counseling. A small group of peers provides new perspectives and lessons learned by other experiences. You will find you’re troubles aren’t so far from others’ struggles.
- Adolescent counseling. Children and teens require different approaches to therapy. Because they still lack life experience, they need counseling that doesn’t involve discussing more mature topics.
Contact Remedy Therapy today to start talk therapy for depression or any other mental health concern. Call 561.414.2607 to speak with kind experts about counseling programs in Florida.